Benjamin Moore #paintmeben Party
Thanks to Kim Moldofsk from The Reluctant Renovator for hosting a fun and educational party at the Benjamin Moore store in the burbs followed by a visit to her beautiful new home.
I was excited about the invitation because with the exception of my bedroom which I recently completely re-decorated, all of my walls are the same lovely eggshell that they were when I moved in 7 years ago. I left with a dozen design ideas and the very strong need to have one of the Benjamin Moore designers come to my home to give me advice!
Here’s what I learned in a nutshell
1. It’s ok to use different colors in different rooms when you have an open floor plan. Who knew? My condo is a typical gut-rehab. Two bedrooms in the back of the unit, a nice open kitchen with an island sitting next to a nice sized dining room with a living room over to the nook in the left. I figured I was married to one color in the entire space. But check out my dream living room. I’d love to have this type of treatment in my living room and possibly something complimentary in the dining room with some sort of flow through into the kitchen (which is 90% cabnites and appliances with about 10% backsplash currently painted…wait for it…eggshell!)
2. If you have a favorite shirt, toy, pet, etc… and would like to match the color, Benjamin Moore can do that.
3. The best way to get an idea of how a color will look on your wall is to paint a LARGE sample swatch that color and move around the room at various times of the day. These two factors will have a huge impact on the way the color looks.
4. Dark paint on the ceiling of a room will make the room look larger.
5. Saving my favorite tip for last — Benjamin Moore has black paint that dries as a chalk board!!! That seemed like a helpful tip for all my friends opening their own offices AND parents with tweens.